Covid-19 support package for Christchurch cricketers
Following recent discussions by the Executive Boards of the Christchurch Junior Cricket Association (CJCA) and Christchurch Metropolitan Cricket Association (CMCA) a support package has been finalised to support cricket clubs and schools in Christchurch through the coming months of financial uncertainty, caused by the disruptions due to Covid-19.
The aim of the package is to support member clubs and schools who deliver cricket, enabling them to focus on retaining members so they’re in the best possible position to commence the season in October.
CMCA will be providing:
- An immediate discretionary payment to all clubs, the amount being aligned to member affiliation and registration fees from the 2019-20 season. Amounts will range from $500 to $3500 and will support financial requirements pre-season where disruptions to traditional funding streams will be likely.
- Support towards Youth Cricket Clubs and Secondary Schools with an allocation of essential equipment through a partnership with Cricket Express.
CJCA will be providing:
- A credit back of all junior club registration fees for the 2020-21 season. This amount will be between $150 and $5000 per club.
- An allocation of cricket balls for all hard-ball junior teams to support clubs for the first 4-6 weeks of the season.
- An individual support package to support participation by those whose families are compromised by COVID-19. This will provide support towards club fees, CJCA Winter Training or Tournament Fees.
The two organisations have been working with local clubs and the news was well received by club chairpersons at a meeting on Wednesday evening. The total combined support package is valued at $100,000. CMCA and CJCA will continue to work with their members in preparation for the 2020/21 season and support member clubs and schools to continue to provide opportunities for local communities to play cricket.